This recipe is something the entire family will love and it’s Keto friendly too. The kids won’t notice that you replaced the potatoes with cauliflower.
Did you know that a 100 gram serving of baked potato has 20 net carbs, while the same size serving of roasted cauliflower has 2-3 net carbs? Plus, cauliflower is rich in fiber and nutrients like Vitamin C, Vitamin K, Vitamin B6.
Even if you aren’t following a ketogenic diet, I still think you’ll like this recipe.
- 1 large head cauliflower, cut into small florets
- 2 Tbs unsalted butter
- 1 3/4 cups milk
- 2 tsp flour
- 1/2 diced sweet onion
- 10 oz cheddar or white cheese, shredded (1 1/4 cups)
- 4 strips bacon, cooked and chopped
- 1/4 cup green onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 (5.3-ounce) container plain Greek yogurt or 1/2 sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Prepare a small casserole dish with non-stick spray.
- Remove the green outer leaves from the cauliflower, place it on the steamer rack, and steam until tender, about 6 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl to cool. Once the cauliflower is cool enough to handle, use your hands to gently break the florets from the thick central stalk—try to break the cauliflower into large florets rather than small pieces. Arrange the florets, in one layer, in a 12- by 8-inch baking dish and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan over moderate heat, melt the butter. Reduce the heat to low, add the flour and salt, and whisk until both are incorporated and the mixture turns golden brown, about 2 minutes.
- Raise the heat to moderate and add the milk, sour cream or yogurt whisking constantly, until a smooth sauce forms (the sauce should be thick and glossy, but still runny), about 5 minutes. (If the sauce is too thick, gradually whisk in additional milk until the desired consistency is achieved.)
- Add 1 cup of the grated cheese and whisk until melted, add bacon
- Pour the cauliflower mixture into the casserole dish. Bake for 15-20 minutes, until the cheese melts and the sauce is bubbly.