I had this cocktail at Hay Day Farms on Bainbridge Island and it had a lasting impression so I wanted to share it with you.
Rhubarb is rich in antioxidants, particularly anthocyanins (which give it its red color) and proanthocyanidins. These antioxidants have anti-bacterial, anti-inflammatory, and anti-cancer properties, which help protect you from many health-related issues such as heart disease, cancer, and diabetes. I must admit I am not a big fan of rhubard but this recipe blew my mind. It wasn’t bitter like I expected it to be.
Home made infusions are a delicious way of mixing it up when it comes to drinks. This rhubarb and ginger infused gin is super refreshing and simple to make. The bright pink color is stunning and unforgettable.
- 2.5 oz ginger infused gin
- 2 oz rhubarb syrup*
- .5 oz lemon juice
- Splash of soda
- Add ginger infused gin, rhubarb syrup, and lemon juice to a cocktail shaker and top with ice. After shaking for approximately 30 seconds, taste to check for sweetness. Adjust by adding more lemon juice (if too sweet) or more syrup (if too sour).
- Double-strain into a chilled glass
- Garnish with a piece of rhubarb and or lemon twist.
- Cut 10.5 oz of rhubarb into slices and add to a pot with .2 oz white sugar and 2.6 oz water. Put heat on low and simmer until the sugar dissolves and the rhubarb is tender.
- Pour the liquid into a bowl through a sieve and discard solids. Pour the liquid back into the pot and boil until it forms a syrupy texture. Pour into a heatproof container and allow to cool.