I always love to serve a fluffy breakfast strata Christmas morning because you can make it a day in advance and pop it in the oven when you are ready to eat.
This overnight breakfast strata is always a hit. The great thing is that you can adjust the recipe based on who you are serving and what you have in the fridge. In other words, if you don’t like meat, you can modify this recipe by adding all sorts of veggies.
Think of this breakfast egg casserole as the ideal base for a fluffy strata with any addition you need.
Make it on Christmas Eve after dinner, then let it chill overnight and bake it Christmas morning! You want it to sit in the refrigerator, so the custard really soaks up into the bread and all the flavors come together.
Some ingredients you can add to your fluffy breakfast strata:
Get creative friends! You can substitute bread with croissants, bagels or gluten free bread of any kind.
If your family loves meat then load the dish with sausage and bacon. If you are like me I like to add some veggies then add cheese and bacon to boot.
- Add sautéed onions and mushrooms – or not up to you
- Play with the herbs and add your favorites
- Add broccoli or spinach
- Switch up the cheeses, or use all cheddar
You can display your recipe for this post by using the following shortcode:
- 1lb breakfast sausage
- 1/2 sweet onion
- 1 Cup sliced mushrooms
- 8-10pieces bacon, cooked (crispy and crumbled)
- 1/2 cup of any greens (broccoli or green peppers are good)
- 8 large eggs
- 2 2/3 cups whole milk
- 1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 1/2tsp ground dry mustard
- 1tsp dried parsley
- 1/4tsp black pepper
- 1/4tsp paprika
- 12oz Italian or french bread, cubed into 1/2" pieces
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Gruyere cheese
- minced fresh parsley,for garnish
- chopped fresh chives,for garnish
- dollop sour cream,for garnish
- In a large skillet, brown and crumble sausage until cooked. Saute onion and mushrooms after you cook the meat. Drain and set aside.
- Use a bread knife to cube Italian bread into 1/2" pieces, then set aside. Combine shredded cheddar and Gruyere cheeses, then set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, add eggs, milk, salt, dry mustard, dried parsley, black pepper and paprika. Whisk until combined.
- Add cubed bread pieces to bottom of 3 quart oven safe pot, or 9x13" baking pan. Top with crumbled sausage, bacon, and 3/4 of the cheeses. Pour egg custard over the top, using a wooden spoon to gently push any un-soaked bread down into the custard. Sprinkle with remaining shredded cheeses.
- Cover pan with foil and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from refrigerator, uncover, and let sit at room temperature while oven preheats to 350 degrees F. Bake, uncovered, for 40-45 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Serve hot, topped with garnishes if desired.