- 4 lb. boneless pork shoulder
- 3 tbsp. packed brown sugar
- 1 tbsp. smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp. kosher salt
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 2 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 12 oz. lager beer
The Secret Sauce
- 1 1/2 c. ketchup
- 1/3 c. rice vinegar
- 1/2 c. Dijon mustard
- 1/4 c. packed brown sugar
- 2 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- Potato Buns
- Preheat oven to 300°.
- Trim excess fat from pork and cut into large pieces to fit in a
large Dutch oven.
- In a small bowl, combine brown sugar, salt, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder,
and cumin, then season with black pepper. Rub all over pork. (This can be done
the night before.)
- In a large Dutch oven over medium high heat, heat oil. Slowly add pork and sear on all sides.
- Pour the beer around pork and cover with lid. Transfer to oven and cook until pork is
beginning to turn tender, about 3 hours. Remove lid and cook until pork is very
tender and pulls apart easily with a fork, 1 to 2 hours more. If you like your pork slightly crispy- cook for up to 4 hours.
- Remove pork from the Dutch oven and let rest while you prepare barbecue sauce.
- Shred The Pork
Take two forks and pull the pork apart as you shred it. Toss shredded meat with about half the barbecue sauce.
- Serve Pulled Pork on a warm bun
How To Make The Sauce
Scoop the the pan drippings from the Dutch oven then whisk-in ketchup, apple cider vinegar, mustard, brown sugar and Worcestershire. Over medium-high heat, bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer until thickened slightly, about 5 minutes.
You can make the pork 2 days in advance