Even if you can’t be together to celebrate the holidays, a holiday card is a thoughtful way to let friends, family, and colleagues know you care. So how do you make your cards pop, stand out and be memorable? There are twelve easy ways to design a memorable holiday card.
No matter if you are designing Christmas, new year’s, Hanukkah, company christmas cards or invites, you will want your custom design to be memorable.
We can help you with your holiday card if it’s on your to-do-list. There is no doubt that designing a photo card can be difficult. Sometimes it can be hard to choose from so many options.
The first thing you need to do is choose a site to design your holiday card or invite. There are so many choices so I hope this helps narrow it down for you.
1. How To Choose The Website To Design Your Holiday Card
I have used various companies in the past to create our family photo holiday cards. There are some important factors you should consider when choosing which online site you will use to design your holiday cards.
What To Look For In An Online Card Design Company:
- Sites That Specialize In Invitations and Cards- I always recommend using a site that specializes in invitations and printed and digital cards. These sites are more user friendly and easy to navigate. They also offer more design elements. Sites that specialize in wedding invitations is the best place to start
- Address Capture Service-Another benefit of using a company that specializes in cards and invitations is the ability to capture addresses. This service is super cool. Only a few companies offer this feature. This service allows customers to share a link on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, or any other social media to request their friends and family’s addresses. The addresses are stored in the customer’s account and can be selected during the design process.
- Shipping Costs- Look for the best shipping rates available. Nothing is more frustrating than designing your card and when it is time to check out, you discover the shipping is beyond expensive.
- Free Envelope Addressing Service– If the company provides a free envelope addressing service- go for it. That will save you so much time and money. Basic Invite offers recipient address printing at no cost on all card orders.
- Custom Card Sample-Not all print providers offer custom samples, so consider using a site that allows customers to order a printed sample of their actual invitation before they place their final order. They can see the paper quality and how it will print, ’s perfect. I highly recommend this process.
After you choose which website you will use to design your holiday card,it’s time to start planning the layout and design of the card.
This holiday season, you may wonder how to make your holiday cards stand out from the rest. One way to do this is to use unique holiday card designs that will get noticed. Here are some ideas to get you started:
2. Use A Festive Font and Design
Look for a site that offers an extensive collection of design options to help create a unique holiday card.
Consider using festive fun fonts. With fonts, there are thousands to choose from. So, take some time to browse through different font websites and find a festive font that you like. You can even download free fonts if you want to save some money. Just make sure that the font is easy to read so that your friends and family can easily read your holiday cards.
For designing any type of Christmas card, Hanukkah card, holiday greeting card, or holiday party invitation, the artistic design you choose should be your personality and style.
Determine how many photos you want to use and then decide what theme you want to go with based on the photos you choose.
3. Holiday Photo Card Theme
Consider what theme you want to portray on your holiday card. For example, a dog, bridal, new baby, business, new address, corporate, New Year, newlywed, winter wonderland or summer beach themes. The card style should mirror the theme.
4. Use Unique Colors
Another great way to make your holiday cards stand out is to use unique colors. Instead of using the traditional green and red Xmas colors, try using a different color scheme that will make your cards pop. You can even use multiple colors if you want to create a more festive look.
Consider a site that offers many color choices. Most sites offer only a few color choices. There are a few sites that provide nearly 200 color choices.
This way, you can play with so many color options with instant previews online. Once you select a design, you can change the color of each element on the card. This is what you call a true custom design.
5. Get Creative With Your Photos
If you’re sending out holiday cards, you’ll probably want to include a photo of yourself or your family. But don’t just use any old photo. Get creative and try to take some unique photos that will make your holiday cards stand out.
Consider what orientation your photos you want to use are. Landscape or portrait? This will affect the type of holiday card you choose.
6. Use Festive Phrases : Holiday Card Captions
The wording on your holiday cards can also make a big difference in how they look. Instead of just “Merry Christmas”, try using some festive phrases like “Happy Holidays” or “Season’s Greetings”. For new year’s cards, get crazy creative.
Holiday Card greeting text Ideas
- Warmest wishes
- Joy & Peace
- Happy Holidays
- Joy and good cheer
- Love & Warmth
- Ho Ho Ho
- Joy & Cheer
- Merry Everything
- Peace on Earth
- Jingle All The Way
- Deck the Halls
- Joy to the World
- Tis the Season
- Winter Wonderland
- Have a holly jolly holiday
- With dreidel, we shall play!
- Put on your yarmulke. It’s time for Hanukkah!
- Jingle all the way!
- Haul out the holly!
- Eat, Drink, and Be Merry
- Oh! What a year!
- Dashing through the sand – Dashing through the snow (depending on photo)
- Joy! Joy! Joy!
- Very Merry
- Peace and Love
7. Add A Personal Touch
One of the best ways to make your holiday cards stand out is to add a personal touch. You can do this by hand-writing a personal message on each card, or by adding a special photo or decoration that is specific to the recipient.
Embellish your card with a ribbon or add a little sparkle inside the envelope. Seal your envelope with wax for instant romance and texture.
8. Foil Cards
This year, let your message shine out with beautiful foil embellishments. Adding a foil element to your holiday cards makes for the most beautiful cards. The term foil stamp refers to the process by which the foil is stamped on the card surface. I love the special touch that a foil card provides. Add sparkle and shine to new year’s cards, or any modern holiday card for that unique style. Metallic foil has an ideal way to embellish a custom card.
9. High-Quality Paper
Look to print your holiday card or invite on premium cardstock or the highest quality paper. It’s disappointing when I have received my custom cards, and the paper was flimsy and cheap looking. Paper makes a difference.
10. Try A Holiday Postcard Design
It’s a great way to save money- no envelope needed. I thought this was another idea that was so clever.
How To Take The Best Family Pictures For A Photo Holiday Card
What are your favorite family photos from the last year? If you don’t have a good family portrait, consider taking a photo using the following tips:
1. Choose the right time of day: The best time to take family photos is in the morning or evening, when the light is softer and more flattering. Avoid taking pictures in the middle of the day, when the sun is high in the sky, and can create harsh shadows.
2. Find the right location: An outdoor location with plenty of natural light is ideal for family photos. Look for a spot with pretty scenery, like a park or garden, that will make your photos look even more festive.
3. Get everyone’s attention: Get everyone’s attention before taking the photo, so you don’t end up with any blurry or distracted faces. Try saying something funny or making a silly face yourself to get everyone laughing. These images make for the perfect card.
4. Take lots of photos: Don’t be afraid to take lots of photos, so you have plenty to choose from later. With digital cameras, there’s no need to worry about wasting film.
5. Use the timer: If you’re taking a photo of the whole family, use the timer function on your camera so you can be in the photo as well. Just set the camera up on a tripod or stable surface, press the timer button and run into position.
6. Take candid shots: Besides posed shots, try taking some candid photos of your family members interacting with each other. These can often be the most fun and memorable photos.
7. Get close: When taking photos, try to get close enough so that you fill up most of the frame. This will help make sure that everyone in the photo is visible, and it will also help create a more intimate feeling.
8. Use natural light: Use natural light instead of using a flash. Natural light often creates softer and more flattering photos.
9. Edit your photos: Once you’ve taken your photos, don’t forget to edit them! Even just making minor adjustments, like cropping or increasing the contrast, can make a big difference in the overall look of your photos.
10. Have fun!Last but not least, don’t forget to have fun! Photography is supposed to be enjoyable, so make sure you take the time to enjoy yourself while you’re taking photos.